Visitors since 2015

Request a FREE copy of your Medical Information Bureau!

Get a Quote Today!

Phone: 813-434-1902

Fax: 813-434-2322



Or use our contact form.

Client Services

Discover the advantages of insuring with James Insurance Consultants. Learn more.

Highly Recommended by Locals On Alignable

Health  Savings Accounts


A  health savings account is a type of medical savings account that allows you to save money to pay for current and future medical expenses on a tax-free basis. In order to be eligible for a health savings account, you must be covered by a  high-deductible plan, not have any other health insurance (including Medicare), and not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.

You  can use this account to pay for your qualified health expenses, including  expenses that the plan ordinarily doesn't cover, such as eyeglasses and hearing  aids. Expenses paid out of the HSA that are eligible expenses under your  high-deductible health plan will count toward the plan's deductible. During  the year, you can make voluntary contributions to your health savings account  using before-tax dollars.

 In some cases, employers may set up and help fund  health savings accounts for their employees. A health savings account earns  interest. If you have a balance in your health savings account at the end of  the year, it will "roll over," allowing you to build up a cushion  against future health expenses. A health savings account allows you to  accumulate funds and retain them when you change plans or retire. 

Tax Facts: Should I close my HSA when I get a new health insurance plan?

 By Louise Norris, HSA store


What happens to your HSA if you switch to a health insurance plan that is not HSA-qualified? It is a good question and understanding how the rules work for HSAs when you are no longer "HSA-eligible" will help you avoid potentially bad financial decisions.


First, "HSA-eligible" just means that you are eligible to contribute to an HSA. You can still own an HSA when you are not HSA-eligible. And you can still withdraw money from that HSA, tax-free if the money is used to pay for qualified medical expenses.


Being HSA-eligible includes having coverage under an HSA-qualified high-deductible health plan (HDHP), and with some limited exceptions, not having any other coverage. You also can't be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return. When you are HSA-eligible, you can contribute pre-tax money to your HSA, up to the annual limit set by the IRS.


But what happens if your health coverage changes to a non-HDHP (or no insurance at all), or you gain additional coverage, such as Medicare or FSA coverage from your spouse's employer? In that case, you're no longer HSA-eligible, which means you have to stop contributing to your HSA.


But that does not mean you should close your HSA!


You might have well-meaning friends (and possibly not such well-meaning car salespeople or mortgage brokers) encouraging you to cash it out, but chances are that is not your best choice. Of course, in a dire emergency, it may be the only option.


If cashing out your HSA is all that is standing between you and being homeless, then cash out the HSA. But if it is not an earth-shattering emergency, you are probably better off keeping your HSA.


If you close your HSA and withdraw all the money, you are going to have to pay income tax on the withdrawal, plus a 20% additional tax if you are under age 65. That is assuming you are not using the money to reimburse yourself for qualified medical expenses incurred since you established your HSA. If you are using the money for qualified medical expenses, then carry on, as the withdrawal will be tax-free.


The other option, even though you are no longer HSA-eligible, is to ask yourself if you think you might have any medical expenses during the rest of your life. If so, remember that you can just leave the money in your HSA and wait to withdraw it until those medical expenses crop up — even if that ends up being decades down the road. The withdrawal will be tax-free at that point, including investment gains or interest that the account balance earns between now and then.


If you never have HDHP coverage again, your HSA will be a one-way street: Withdrawals only, but no contributions (although the balance could continue to grow due to interest or investment earnings). But keep in mind that you might become HSA-eligible again in the future. At that point, you can simply start contributing to your HSA again.


Consider moving it instead...


From a logistical standpoint, remember that you also have the option to move your HSA balance to a different HSA provider. If your HDHP/HSA was established via an employer and you are leaving that job, the employer may require you to move your HSA. But that does not mean you need to close your HSA. Instead, you can just initiate a transfer or a rollover to a new HSA, which will not trigger any taxes on your HSA funds.


rollover means the original HSA sends the money to you, and you send it to your new HSA custodian within 60 days. You cannot do this more than once a year, and the onus is on you to ensure that you deposit the money in your new HSA within 60 days.


A simpler way to go about it is a transfer. You just need to open your new HSA and then ask your original HSA to send the money directly to the new HSA. There's no limit on how often you can transfer money from one HSA to another, and you don't need to worry about getting the money into your new HSA in a timely fashion — the two HSA administrators take care of all the logistics for you.


Seek advice from a tax adviser if you have questions about your specific situation, but remember that keeping your HSA (with your current HSA custodian or a new one) after you're no longer HSA-eligible is almost always going to be a better option than cashing it out.


Print Print | Sitemap
© Bay Area Benefit Consultants